But as the summer wore on and the plants grew, the bed started to look like this.
I didn't really factor in how fast the loropetalum would grow—it began to completely cover the japanese boxwood and the roses. At first I thought I might just keep trimming back the loropetalum but, honestly, I try to stay low maintenance on the yard work and constant trimming just didn't sound like fun. So I decided to move the loropetalum to other parts of the yard and move the row of japanese boxwood up a bit.
So things are definitely looking less cluttery in the bed. Although the loropetalum that I transplanted elsewhere aren't doing as well as they were in their original home—like the ones I put in the planter in front of the carport.
Maybe more love—and water—will bring them back up to snuff...