Friday, October 7, 2011

Rock My Socks

We have a little project ADD going on over at the Schubach house. Along with finishing touch-ups on the kitchen, we're also trying to get the office in order. And I'm determined to finish my friends and family wall sometime in the near future. Things are happening, they're just happening a little...slowly. Well, to make things interesting, I'm throwing another project on the pile. It's actually something I've been wanting to do for over a year--a succulent rock garden on one of the back sides of the house. Now that fall has fallen on Florida (it's way too brutal to try to do projects like this in the summer) I'm determined to get this thing going.

I already planned out where the garden would go quite a while ago (its this nondescript patch of weeds/grass that sits under the back windows of the office and our bedroom). This past weekend I started the process of killing off the weeds/grass by putting tarp and newspaper over the area. You can also use weed killer, but we try not to use pesticidy kind of stuff in our yard. The tarp and newspaper should suffocate the weedies over the next couple of weeks and then I can more easily dig them out.



Then I'm going to put a combination of small pebble rocks and large landscaping rocks throughout the area with some drought-friendly plants in between. Maybe something like this:

Or this:


(but without the water element)

 The small pebble rocks and plants are no problem to purchase, but I'm having a hard time finding some good, large, boulder-y rocks for the garden. Rocks like that just don't occur naturally in central Florida and I haven't seen anything like them at local home improvement places. So I've been scouring Craigslist to see if anyone has some large rocks they want to unload. Anyone know where to score some good rocks?

Rock pictures from here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment